Uncertainty leads to less sustainable consumer behavior
We've seen many examples of studies showing that post-corona consumption behavior will be (a little) more sustainable. Belgian-British neuromarketing agency Beyond Reason predicts the opposite. Their analysis of actual consumer behavior data shows that during the crisis, ecology and sustainability have clearly lost importance in terms of impact on brand preferences and purchasing decisions
A small group,less than 10% of the population, is motivated strongly enough by ecology to let their behavior be guided by it. The other + 90% will hardly or not at all change their behavior. This is the case for the categories of 'usual suspects' such as air travel, meat consumption and cars, but also for cosmetics, food, household products, smartphones, insurance, utilities, etc.
During corona the ecological motivation within the group of 8% increases slightly, but this group does not increase in size. At the same time, ecological motivation for the other 90% decreases sharply (-20 to -30%). This means that the big majority today is even less motivated to change its consumption in favor of a greener world.
The masses are worried about their own future, health wise and financially. The stronger this awareness, the more people turn away from the perceived frivolity of an ecological lifestyle. This is very unfortunate, but also understandable. Put yourself in the shoes of a householder who is unsure whether next month's rent can be paid - would you still be spending money on organic carrots?
Research by NPD Group shows that snack food consumption in the US has increased by 8%. 37% of consumers are stockpiling salty snacks and frozen sweets. And this stockpiling has led to an increase in between meal snacking occasions.